How’s about this as a better ending for The Matrix ?

Forget Nero in the phone box. Instead the scene suddenly switches to a group of people sat in a circle in a room. They are taking off immersive headsets and excitedly agreeing that the game was fantastic. Suddenly, two or three of the group reach down and take machine guns out of their bags. They shoot the others, and run. End.
Much more dramatic. Much more aesthetically satisfying.
But of course it would then have been difficult to make any follow-ups.
I saw The Matrix when it was first released - or maybe before - on a long-haul flight in to London Heathrow.
What do you think ?

Comments

• I don't think they show new movies on flights...

That said... I don't think I understand your ending to the movie. Are you saying that the entire movie would be revealed to be a video game?

First, I don't like that they are characters we've never seen before, we don't know their motivation, why we care about them as the audience, etc. Second, they're all excited about the experience they just had, and suddenly two or three of them kill the others? How many people were playing the game? Why would they wait until the game was over, if it was so immersive they could just get away with it earlier without the hassle of playing the game.

We, as the audience, need to know who they are, what their motives are, and what is really going on.

Let me build on what you just said, but changing the idea a bit.

What if Neo flies away, out of frame, shocking the audience with his power of flight, just like he did in the movie, and instead of the credits rolling, it cuts to a scene where we see a room that looks like the Architects room, with all of the screens, but then the camera turns and goes through a door, where we see people being unplugged from the Matrix.

And then they start talking to each other. "Agent Smith is gone." "And Thomas Anderson has escaped." These are the agents, but they're also... human? Or are they advanced machines that can plug in to the Matrix, like the humans do. Cut to black.
  • Thanks for your response to my post LS. Your criticisms/comments are cogent and your alternative ending is wonderfully creative, opening up exciting new possibilities for the development of the Matrix world. However :

~ they certainly do/did show new release films on BA.

~ and, to abandon my previously cryptic caution, I can only say - I know what I saw . . .

Was I dreaming ? Or did they change the ending at the 59th minute ?

(Sorry, I have to go now. Before they come)

Kevan 123

• I wasn't aware that British Airways showed new release films. That's crazy!

You seem to be dreaming, or had been dreaming. I don't understand the need to be so cryptic. I think it's time to start making some sense.
  • Sorry LS - I was trying to be amusing by taking the Matrix universe seriously. And , of course, I was trying to discover if anyone else had seen or has knowledge of the ending I believe I saw.
  • Gotcha. No worries. Your memory of what you saw is the first I've heard of that ending. This could be similar to the Shazam! movie starring Sinbad.