The Matrix Unplugged [Matrix Themed, Text-Based MMORPG]

edited March 2013 in Fan Films
I was going to post this in "The Matrix Gaming", but I couldn't really find an appropriate spot, so I guess this'll do :P
Basically, I've been working on a Matrix-themed, browser/text-based MMORPG for a few months now, and I recently released a public alpha demo. It currently has a small member community, and the bulk of the gameplay is in place at the moment. If you're interested in signing up and helping us to alpha test, it'd be great to have you! You can sign up and play for free at http://www.matrixunplugged.co.uk .

A few of the things which I've implemented so far include:
  • In-game Events and Messages.
  • Player profiles (you can browse the profile pages of other players, and are given options to send messages, send cash and even initiate combat)
  • The Training System (allowing players to train their core stats: Combat, Coding, Hacking and Tactics).
  • The Missions System (allowing players to carry out tasks in exchange for Items, Money or Experience Points).
  • Basic in-game combat (still work-in-progress).
  • Training Programs (programs which the user can run to not only raise their stats, but also provide them with special abilities, such as Hyperjumping or Bullet Dodging).
  • Basic hacking abilities (still work-in-progress).
  • Public Item Markets.
  • NPCs (Exiles, Redpills, Agents etc.) + NPC Combat.
  • In-Game Forums.
  • Teleportation through District Hardlines (allowing the user to travel to various other areas within MegaCity).

Here're some in-game screenshots:

0q906.png
Here's the current Explore page, linking to all of the major game features which aren't directly part of the core (since all the core features can be accessed through the sidebar)

B3kH1.png
This is a snapshot of the combat system, which I recently streamlined. The graphical health bars are new, but I still have a number of ideas about how we can make the combat much more meaty. Still, it's fun to see me getting completely beaten up by Morpheus!

6dkgo.png
This is the beta version of the selection interface for Advanced Training Programs. Essentially, these allow the user to learn new skills and improve their stats in exchange for a small amount of in-game money. Advanced Training Programs tend to yield much higher stat bonuses than normal training, but they can take several days to complete (depending on the program).

Xktmj.png
This is the Basic Training system, which allows users to train their core stats (Combat, Coding, Hacking or Tactics), provided that they have enough Focus (which only refills every 5 minutes). The interface is far from perfect, however.

Those are some of the main features which are available at present for anyone who signs up for our alpha. Updates are coming pretty quickly, so there's almost always something new to see whenever you log in. I would very much appreciate any and all feedback which you guys could provide!

Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    As of yesterday morning, The Matrix unplugged is now out of the dark days of beta and has embraced its very first public release version!
    There've been some really major changes to the game since my last post - including a completely new design and layout, in-game chat/forums, better combat, countless more items, weapons, NPCs etc., as well as a hovercraft crew and organizations system. Come check it out!
  • edited July 2012
    Looks pretty interesting, I've signed up as "Reptile".
  • edited October 2012
    Looks brilliant, but text-based games aren't really in my taste :p
  • edited March 2013
    Hi Everyone we are trying to get this great Matrix show up and running in a large theater in London, any help we can get from all the Matrix fans out there can give would be greatly appreciated
    The show is a spectacular 3D effects and live stage performance with aerial acrobatics as in the Matrix movies stunning visual effects all performed live with the latest in film technology all merged in this great live performance please do check the link below its a absolutely stunning show that would appeal to all Matrix fans as its the first stage performance absolute must for all sci fi fans
    here is the link to go to the kickstarter website

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...matrix-effects

In advance we hope to hear from you!!!
    Robert