New Matrixism - the religion

Who else has heard of this? It actually relates to a lot of what I've already believed in or am trying to learn about, so I'm going to look into it more.

www.newmatrixism.com

Comments

• edited November 2010
    A religion based on a movie? Yeah...
  • edited November 2010
    Personally, my preference is for Pastafarianism. I particularly like their Open Letter to the Kansas School Board.

Then again, the Church of Google also has a point. One should certainly check out the 10 Commandments of Google.

Seriously though, the main point of the Matrix films was to promote intellectual inquiry on the part of their audience, even though I guess in some respects the final film does hold open the possibility of a more theistic interpretation. The Wachowskis were mainly interested though in promoting radical doubt and humanism. The final installment (The Matrix Revolutions) by implication does away with the notion of "the One" in a conventional interpretation, even while leaving some room for religious-type faith at the very end. It sought to convey the idea of having faith in people primarily, while at the same time questioning all (including radical doubt itself, which is doubtless why the conclusion leaves itself open to a theistic interpretation). That's not exactly a dialectical materialist rendering of the way the world and the universe work, but I think it worthy of respect nonetheless. It presents us with a valuable point about not just dogmatically taking things for granted. There were also some occasionally insightful and occasionally half-baked political implications made in the course of the films and The Animatrix, but those aren't the subject at hand here.
  • edited May 2011
    Seriously though, the main point of the Matrix films was to promote intellectual inquiry on the part of their audience, even though I guess in some respects the final film does hold open the possibility of a more theistic interpretation.
    The Wachowskis were mainly interested though in promoting radical doubt and humanism. The final installment (The Matrix Revolutions) by implication does away with the notion of "the One" in a conventional interpretation, even while leaving some room for religious-type faith at the very end.
    Well. that's your take. "The One", obviously represents Jesus to Christians..
    Then, there are Christian websites commenting o the movie too.

Here is a question to ponder...did Jesus confirm the Far Eastern teachings on, "Maya", by both His teachings on the power of Faith, and, the effectiveness of prayer? Also, by His miracles performed? Now what?
    Have you visited NDERF.ORG?
    A survey estimated several years ago that there are 700 NDE's occurring daily in the U.S. alone...what will be the cumulative effect, as more and more people report their out of body, and Near death Experiences?

What is this "World" of time, space, and gravity, but a, "Construct"? A.K.A., the Matrix?
    "The One" obviously represents Jesus, and, as we look around us in this modern global society, and world, (The Tower of Babel, and, Babylon), we can see all the end time prophecies occurring. As He described in Mathew 24.
    The melting Glaciers causing the rising of sea levels, the cooling of the warm currents affecting weather patterns, "Seas and waves roaring", not to mention in human affairs, "Perplexity of nations".
    Also, from Buddhism, concerning the real and true person, apart from this organic, temporary, and illlusory...
    "Soul
    Buddhists believe that they are temporary vessels in this world and that until they attain enlightenment or Buddhahood, they do not know their own self or soul. They believe that this world is an illusion and that as a result, one can not know one’s true nature."

http://library.thinkquest.org/28505/buddhism/soul_.htm
  • edited January 2012
    Personally, I think a religion based on a movie is very dangerous. As dangerous as a religion created by man on a bet in a bar (scientology) or a religion created by someone as a mockery of something he clearly believes he understands but shows he really doesn't (pastafarianism). There are also people that worship Gadget (the mouse from Rescue Rangers).

(F.Y.I. This website was founded by a Christian. :-) )
  • edited July 2012
    Although the Matrix is an interesting movie, and I can see the merits within a religion based off of it, I just don't think it's a good idea.