Only try to realize the truth ...

... that there is no spoon ... Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Hi everyone, just stumbled across this forum in a web search. I've been a fan of the Matrix films since I watched the originals of the big screen and I've binge rewatched them so many times I've lost count. I'm both excited and nervous about the idea of a Matrix reboot, considering how bad some of the reboots of beloved films have been in recent years (*cough* TLJ *cough* 'nuff said).

I'm fascinated by the many ways the films can be read as philosophical allegory. When I watched the original, I'd just been wading through Guy Debord's dense-as-hell book 'The Society of the Spectacle' and I saw the Matrix as a giant metaphor for the Spectacle (Morpheus: "The Matrix is everywhere... You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes"). I remember at the time others seeing a Christ analogy in the original, although I have no idea how that fits with the sequels. Then there's the way Dr Cornell West and Ken Wilbur describe it in their commentaries, as a kind of Pilgrim's Progress for Eastern spiritual ideas about the journey to enlightenment and the death of the ego, the false self (Neo: "You were right, Smith. You were always right. It was inevitable").

I look forward to geeking out on this and any other aspect of the Matrix universe with fellow fans.

Comments